Friday, November 6, 2009

As is customary....

Well, I got to watch the show last night, but preparing the proper recap takes a day or so. This is the time it takes to criticize with sobriety and tact, to really polish my words and make for the entertainment experience I feel you deserve.

Also, I worked a 12 hour day yesterday, and felt like sleep was a better use of my time.

However: there is a custom to post a very brief overview of the episode as a placeholder until the recap is ready. It is called, rather creatively, the caplet.

Here goes:

It's a very Canadian show, isn't it? In the best and worst ways. The idea that 12 people, no matter how interesting, sitting in front of computer screens for three days makes for exciting television tickles me. I don't care how many exciting stings you use, it's not Survivor.

On the other hand, from the outset, you get the sense that this show is about twelve people with very different backgrounds meeting, bonding and discovering commonalities. You don't get any sense that there will be late night shower room knife fights.

Marty sums it up best, "It's day one and we're all laughing and getting along because we just met each other, and we're Canadian." I may be paraphrasing. I'll go into more detail on the recap.

This epsiode sets the scene, and introduces the contestants, and the judges....oh the judges. Oh, the targets of my future vitriol. Seventy-five percent of the three judges acquit themselves like asshats.

I'm sorry to say that, but it's true. Oh hell, I'm not even sorry. One of them is just fine, and better than fine. One is a hapless, foot in the mouth, effete, seemingly over-privileged little schmuck (but a super nice guy, I swear). The last...well...you'll see. I hope he can take as good as he gets.

Look for the recap Saturday evening. Monday morning at the latest.

7 comments:

  1. In fairness, someone may be getting an asshat edit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's possible one of them is. Not both.

    Or maybe both. But I was also there, and I'm not seeing what you'd call a disconnect, you know?

    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I do mean 75 percent and not two-thirds. It's a deliberate choice. Just to forestall the Asperger's people.

    I'm looking at you, LH. And to a lesser degree, GF.

    Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not an Aspie. I am something, all right, but that ain't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it got you talking. I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to know what the producer said to the judges pre-show, because I think the judges adopted roles. Faust, for example, was the Simon. Until we got to judging. Um, but that's getting ahead of things and skirting a violation of my NDA, I'm thinking, so that's all I'll say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I mean clearly Fuast had a role to play, and it's pretty much as you describe.

    I don't think Melissa or Todd did. Melissa seemed to me to be a hundred percent herself. Todd seemed to be about a hundred and fifteen percent himself. Which is the problem...and I'll discuss that in my recap.

    Faust, however, cultivates this bad-boy image in other aspects of his life...so I don't think we can blame the producers.

    ReplyDelete