Saturday, November 7, 2009

Episode One: The Storm Gathers (no, it DOESN'T!)

So this is the first recap. Please forgive the doubtless atrocious punctuation and spelling you may encounter. I'm trying to make this quick and dirty.

Okay, here we go. I am seated uncomfortably on a wooden chair near the television in case I need to pause the tape or back it up to quote people. Normal people would use a remote, but I don't know where the VCR remote is. At one point in my life this would have been a huge crisis. I'm a movie nerd, and I must have spent a thousand hours or more in front of this particular VCR. Now it occurs to me that I haven't used it in months. Everything's digital now, and I like it. It's better. Still I feel old, and I'm already involved in nostalgia before the credits roll. Nostalgia is all wrong. I'm here to bring snark.

The show starts with a flash of smoke. That's misdirection. Misdirection is important when you are trying to make something seem exciting when it isn't. 12 people, each writing a book, is not exciting. Not visually, anyhow. It's interesting. It's damned interesting, but it's not exciting. For some reason, though, they want to make this exciting and so they're discussing the contest in voiceover while making a lot of quick video game cuts and shaking the camera. The narrator, is doing a fine job.. but is not Rachel. Rachel is the host. I'm guessing by the time the station actually got around to editing this into a show, she had moved on. After two years, no wonder. The thing is Rachel was great, and I wanted her to narrate. Not this guy. He's fine but he's not the host. I'll call him the Parasite. Which is unkind, but that's the name of this dance.

Oh, here's Rachel. And here are some shots of the poor bastards who are on the show in the middle of the night. There's Gordon brushing his teeth and James in his boxers. Lorna is talking about how the experience is like being drunk, and.. oh look, now the girls are getting drunk at the restaurant next door. Heh.

Now there's Joe on her back dealing with her nosebleed. That is a horrible story, and if they don't talk about it in episode 2, I sure will. I wasn't proud of the service industry that day. Fucking hotel fuckers.

Now they're moving the camera around a lot again as we go to the opening credits to build heat. The credits show the writers all in turn, trying to, apparently make them all look fierce. It's sort of funny, and I think it's meant to be, which is good because a less fierce bunch you are unlikely to meet in this world. They're great people, but they are writers after all. Most writers aren't Hemingway or Bukowski.

And the credits are done, which is good, but at least they were short.

And we're meeting the judges. The Parasite describes them as 3 very qualified wizards of the word. I hate that sentence on so many levels.

The first we meet is Melissa. To explain who she is you need to know that there is the 3 Day Novel show, but there is also the 3 Day Novel Contest overall. Anyone can enter the overall contest from anywhere in the world. We're just here looking at twelve people doing that. One of them will win the show, but not necessarily the overall contest. Okay. Melissa is currently running the overall contest. Has done for years. She is insanely qualified as a judge. Did she just say she'd read over 2000 3-Day novels. Jesus Christ! I've read about six of them and two were my own. I can't imagine reading that many and still wanting to live. Most of them aren't very good, I'm thinking, and a lot of what gets submitted must be actually insane and dreadful.

Oh and now she's saying that, of course, it will be much harder to write under the conditions of the show. Thank you, Melissa, for fuelling G's constant claims and smug satisfaction that my shortlisting last year was a pale achievement compared to her shortlisting while writing on the show. That's just what I needed. Not that she and I are competitive. Anyway….

And here's Todd. Oh, Todd. Melissa seemed so competent and alive. You are about as exciting as a piece of bread soaking in milk. Not all writers belong on TV, and you are one of those. You seem awfully out of your depth and what?

What did you say? Let me back that up. Yes. You did say that.

"Writing stories of this sort, whether it's novels or plays is the hardest work a human can do."

Oh dear. Todd, to quote Jon Stewart of The Daily Show, join me over here on camera three.

You see, Todd, you look to me like an overprivileged white dude in a suit. There is more to you than that. I know. You, like any human being contain depths and mysteries unfathomable. If I didn't love people for their utter fabulousness I wouldn't have to say this to you. You are a fucking asshat.

The hardest work a human being can do. Bitch, please. Coal mining. Picking cotton. Harvesting coffee beans. I worked in a bread factory for two days. Trust me, that's hard work. I have worked on printing presses, and as far as work goes, I'd rather write the books than print them.

Writing is important, and it's challenging, it is not the hardest work a human being can do. It's not even the most important. The degree to which that comment is sheltered, privileged idiocy is hard to fully describe. It's not a good start, my brother. Seriously. You make me want to slap you. In the nuts.

And now here's Minister Faust. His mother didn't name him that, but whatever. He's a writer and a showman, and I respect his work. That said, that hat. Man. I don't want to be insensitive. I'm aware that hat is part of your cultural heritage, and part of your persona, but it makes you look like a fry cook.

And I've missed some things, while ranting, but here's Faust saying the biggest obstacle for the contestants will be insecurity. Huh. The kind that makes people use a fake name and take on a persona? Interesting. I'm just saying. I think there are some cracks in the tough guy facade here.

Todd has just called this an impossible feat. No. Words mean things. Hundreds of people do this every year. All twelve contestants in this show will finish. It's hard, and it's not for everyone, but it's not impossible. Again, it's interesting. Why is interesting such a hard sell?

Faust and Melissa are talking about the advantage of having finished a book before in completing the 3-day. This is extremely fair comment in my opinion. If I hadn't finished my book (some large portion of it that very weekend there in Chapters) I would not have had the balls to do the 3 Day the following year. They are also talking about bloody-mindedness and the the drive to finish. Also important. You need to get totally focused on the experience of the book. No question there.

Of course, I didn't write mine with strangers in front of the cameras. Well, not strangers. Despite what the show will tell you in a few minutes, none of these people were total enigmas to each other. They had been chatting on message boards and emails and by phone for weeks. Everyone had a pretty good sense of everyone.

Oh, hey, Todd said something relevant. He says that some people know how to tell a story and some don't. It's nice to hear non-drivel from him. I think he's right of course. Writing is a skill that you can learn and improve on through discipline, but story is a gift. It's pure talent and I don't think you can learn it, not really.

Now Faust and Todd are talking about how the weekend will be full of surprises. No, not really. The only contest related surprise is coming up, and I don't think it was a total surprise to the person involved, but I'm a cynic and conspiracy theorist at heart.

And after the commercials we'll meet the writers, which is great, because, aside from Melissa, I'm sick of the judges already.

So Lorna, Nancy and Matthew are the first to enter. Lorna is a first generation Lebanese Canadian living in Ontario and working writing for a web company. She comes off as very sweet and approachable and funny, and she is all of those things, and very photogenic.

Matthew is a born and bred Toronto kid, working with deaf students. He is, in person, a very pretty boy, but he's looking like hell in this little section for some reason. I hope this doesn't continue long for he is one of my favourite people and I want him to come off well.

Nancy is a writer and part time librarian living in a little lakeside Ontario town in a gorgeous old house. Okay, is it just me, or will the casual viewer already see that she is the walking stereotype of the buttoned up librarian who is secretly a total hellcat? Well, she totally is a spitfire. I wonder what that kid taking the book from her will think after seeing this show.


The three of them are looking at the bunk beds. Matt is grateful they have railings as he seems to have a rolling problem. Lorna looks very uncomfortable about sleeping in a room full of strangers. Awww princess. On the other hand, Nancy's wild eyes ARE a little scary and so is her apparent espresso buzz.

Next to arrive are Joe and Paul.

Joe is telling us that she was the first woman in South Africa to do a trans-racial adoption. Jesus Christ, I didn't know that. Is there anything this woman hasn't done to earn my fierce love and admiration. I remember in the weeks building up to the contest reading her profile and seeing her picture and being terrified of her. Fucking terrified, because I was afraid she'd be a man-hating political bull dyke type. And of course she is political, and she's a dyke, but there was so much love and humour and warmth to her that I was actually tongue-tied in her presence. As I've said before, she's marched and suffered and bled for every cause I love.
But I digress.

Paul is up now. He works for See magazine in Edmonton. He is a bubbly geeky bald guy. He seems of my tribe, but he also is very private and a little shy. He comes across wildly likable. I did not know he had a law degree. I sure know a lot of people with those who don't practice law. What is the deal with that? He just described himself as a lonely, lonely man. Ah…kidding on the square.

And we're back to Faust and the judges for some reason? What the hell? Shut up judges, none of this babbling about writing matters right now. You had your turn and fucked it up already. We were meeting the cast and liking them.

Oh good, we're back to them now.

Here are Gordon and Gayleen entering, which makes sense as Gayleen picked him up at the airport and he came by to meet the dogs, who loved him madly. Especially Spenser, who chewed his hand for an hour. I love people who love dogs.

The Parasite mentions Gayleen is bringing lots of baggage. Wow, is that a straight line. Anyway, she sure did. And who is that fat ugly guy helping to carry it. You know, that one who looks like a bag of trash with a huge head. Oh yes, that's yr. humble host, shuddering in horror at the sight of himself.

Gayleen is addressing the camera as she unloads Jolt, ginseng, diet cola. She says she's prepared for all eventualities. All eventualities, it seems to me, that require stimulants. Jesus. You know, she didn't even drink caffeine until we started living together. Make of that what you will.

What's that ridgepole for? A tent? Of course, it is.

And here's Gayleen's profile, there's our house and that fat bastard again. Gayleen's music is playing, and they're talking about her many projects and making her look all well rounded and polymathish.

Gordon jumps out of the gate with his partial paralysis as a result of a spinal injury. Way to go for the sympathy…oh no wait, he's making jokes about it. Which is his forte, and… my god he has a lovely home.

And they're interviewing Gayleen back in the store and she's looking really hot there. Neat.

And now they're interviewing Gordon. Also looking good here.

And now Gayleen spits some casual math.

"I've worked it out," she says. "I figure it's coming in at around 17.34 words per minute sustained over 48 hours throughout the 72 hour period…that's my estimate, and I'm thinking if I do that, I'll be happy."

Also she is thinking that you dropped 43 toothpicks, definitely 43, yeah.

Oh, and the Parasite agrees that Gayleen is an intolerable smartypants deserving of sly mockery. Hooray for the Parasite, even if he isn't Rachel.

James and Marty and Tracy are the next to enter. Marty's profile is filmed in a theatre. That's about right. He's comfortable there, but it helps him keep his privacy. Classy, engaging, affable. That's Marty.

Tracy is talking about her life, which has not been easy. She's been a street kid and a druggie, and is now getting her life together. Her vulnerability is a little raw here, and it's the first time the show has been raw. I think if there are real surprises to come, she'll be at the center of them.

James' profile shows him editing film, and there's a clip of him performing what I assume to be a kind of English folk dance. He's English, of course, and has lived all over the place prior to moving to Canada with his Canadian wife, bringing his devilish good looks and accent across the border. Damn his eyes.

Now back in the store, James and Marty both seem surprised that the writer's table is so centrally located. Oh, you poor naive kids. What did you think they'd do? This is supposed to be a spectacle. You're the monkeys in this zoo. Clap your hands and throw faeces now, come on.

Rebecca and Jennifer are coming into the store now. We see Jennifer's profile. She's talking about her house and her kids, and we see her typing there in her gorgeous little house, and now she's dressed up like Marilyn Monroe. She does this semi-professionally as it happens.

Rebecca's profile is a little awkward, but she is refreshingly honest about being sort of awkward and ill-defined, but with aspirations. She seems confused, and a little troubled and sensitive, but very likable. That's pretty accurate, I think.

Back in the store Jennifer is being mocked for bringing more baggage than Gayleen. Which really is a hell of a thing. Also, she's dressed like a movie star, whereas everyone else is business casual. She's a character.

Marty is filmed saying, "We're all cheery and happy and getting along because we just met each other and we're Canadian". And yes, you all are. Which is why I like you. And why Canadian reality shows are not as passionate and hate-fraught as those from our neighbours. Thank you.

And now the Parasite is describing the contestants as possessing wild-eyed naivete. Are we watching the same show? Seriously. I mean, sure, you're reading a script and never met these people. Unlike Rachel, the host.

And the first challenge is coming up after the break.

I will take this opportunity to discuss the challenges. They are a fucking stupid idea. It was an attempt to create competition and animosity and supposed dramatic tension. In actuality, they were mostly a a waste of time, and kind of embarrassing and awkward. Also, the contestants just wanted everyone to be happy and succeed, so there was no real back-stabbery. This one in particular, I remember. It was painful to watch then, and I'm not looking forward to seeing it again. I would have preferred something more co-operative or more designed to share who these people are.

Before I proceed, you need to understand that I do not blame the writers for the debacle I am about to witness. They are all in a strange situation with no idea what to expect, and these challenges are NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT.

Rachel is back, doing her job as host She's introducing Faust who is the judge for this challenge. The challenge, obnoxiously described by Faust, is to create a pitch for your book in 25 words or less. Now they have a point here, in that selling your book is very hard to do. However, this pitch bullshit has no basis in reality. In reality you write query letters and book summaries considerably longer than twenty five words. Writing a pitch like this would be considered annoyingly clever by most editors. You might get to use this pitch once you had a foot in the door and a face to face, but otherwise forget it. What this is, you see, is good for television. These are film pitches, really, and that pisses me off. At least admit you’re playing to inform the audience about the books in a very short soundbite. Don’t pretend this has anything to do with craft. Jesus.

Also, that hat is stupid, too.

Okay, so they have a time limit, and they are told to begin writing. The act of writing is very dull to look at, so let’s shake the camera a whole bunch. Wow, it really seems as though something is happening now, boy howdy.

Matt is the first to pitch his book, which sounds intriguing but there’s no meat there. How could there be? Distilling a whole book to 25 words is fucking impossible. If the book is any good, anyhow. I hate this challenge

Gayleen is next, her pitch is concise but not great. I know her book pretty well, and it's just not able to boil down into that weak a broth.

James’ pitch boils down to “Think Steel Magnolias meets Saw”. I hate that. More on that in a second, as I slap a judge in the nuts again and bitch profusely about the death of culture.

Joe’s pitch is mildly funny, but doesn’t tell me anything about her book, but who cares as this whole exercise is a monstrously stupid waste of time?

Marty’s pitch about his zombie book is well crafted and amusing, and he comes off as humourously self-effacing here.

Paul’s pitch makes me laugh out loud, and the audience as well. “It doesn’t have much of a plot but it does have a lot of lovely descriptions of eating at Tim Horton’s.” In my opinion, his is the winner here so far. I’m not the judge though.

Nancy’s pitch is bland and boring, unfortunately.

Gordon’s pitch is…well it’s Gordon. It does what it says on the tin. If you like that kind of humour, you know what you’re getting.

Lorna’s pitch is very well worded, and I think accurate, but it doesn’t sell me on what makes it stand apart from the dozens of books you could describe with the exact same words.

Tracy’s pitch is nonsense and moondust. I suspect at this point she has no idea what her book is about. Fair enough.

Jennifer’s pitch is really dull, but I like the idea, which leaves me nowhere.

Up last is Rebecca. This pitch is terrible. It’s like a high school poem. Come on girl, you are smarter than that. Sell yourself.

Man. I hate this challenge.

So Faust is now talking about how some got it and some didn’t. He singles Paul out as the loser, which is absolute crap. Of all the pitches, Paul’s was the one that best sold Paul, and best sold his book. It didn’t bore me and it got my attention. Faust deserves a Slap in the Nuts™ for singling Paul out here as the loser. What Paul did was bank on likability. He displayed wit and goofiness, and that pretty much tells you what you're going to get. As far as I'm concerned, he did it right. Of the twelve, his is the only one that really jumped out of the pack for me.

Except for James', but that wasn't good jumping, I'm sad to say.

Faust names the 3 front runners as Joe, James and Matt. My eyes would bug out in shock if I hadn't been there. And Faust awards first place to James. Faust says that he loves phrases like "Steel Magnolia Meets Saw".

Okay. No. This kind of jigsaw puzzle reductionism is the death of discourse. That's a great idea. Let's break down every new piece of art into a frankensteining of previous works. That should be good for art.

Which reminds me, this whole construction of "It's like X meets Y" comes from a particular source. It's not a proud one. It comes from the creative desperation that Universal pictures went through in the forties. Let me explain. From 1931-about 1940 Universal released some of the most loved and successful horror movies of all times. The viewership started to dip. Frankenstein and Dracula and The Mummy and the Wolfman weren't packing seats the way they used to. And so one day, a guy pitched The Wolfman Meets Frankenstein. It was a huge hit. HUGE. For ten years after that, Universal used that format, mixing characters and genres. Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein. Abbot and Costello meet the Mummy. About two dozen X meets Y films. And that's where that goddamned phrase comes from.

So yeah, great, it's the kind of phrase that tips the film studios in your favour. Is it good art and storytelling? Hell no.

And from what I know of James' book, it isn't accurate either. His book is more like The Descent meets Saw. There's not a lot of supporting loving girl on girl bonding in his story. It's mostly the dark side of female interactions. So where's the contrast?

But anyway, I digress. It's not James' fault that he went for the cheap shot. It worked. It's my fault that I hate the world and most of how it works.

And Faust's hat.

And look, before I continue, I need to say that I love the guy. I know his actual name and all of that. I think he's swell. It's the persona of Minister Faust that annoys me. And actually mostly because I just think his role on the show is damned intrusive.

Oops, now why, James, are you slapping your ass and using the word genius? Why? No. That'll do. Stop. Thank you.

And now they're asking Paul how he feels about being the loooooser. And he's pretty funny about it, considering it's a grave injustice. Happily, this time there's no penalty and the stakes are small. He is feeling trepidation about his book. This sounds like foreshadowing to me. DUN DUN DUNNNNN.

Oh wait, foreshadowing works better if you let it steep, show.

Paul is in the confessional booth and he's tearing up his outline. He's decided to plunge in unprepared with a new idea he's just conceived. Hm. Part of me, a cynical part, thinks Paul has planned this all along. It's great TV and he's sort of sneaky savvy. Just my two cents.

His new idea is to do a novel combining WWII espionage with Broadway song and dance. the other contestants quite rightly are applauding this excellent notion.

Okay, so Rachel is counting down to zero and the writing begins. We cut to the exterior and some fake ass lightning. Ooo, intimidating.

We get some previews. Then over the closing credits, Gayleen is erecting a tent on her top bunk. An actual tent. Because she is crazy like that. She he asks the guys if they've never pitched a tent. One of her classic single entendres. And we close with Tracy asking if the store is clothes optional.

Closing thoughts. I was really grooving on the scenes where the contestants arrived and their profiles, and just as we started to see them interact we went to the frigging-cliched-reality-show-bankrupt-of-imagination-challenge. Though I confess, the challenge DID in fact show us a fair amount of who all the players are. So, a point for the show.

I just pray the judges become less intrusive, and that Todd, in particular, either thinks harder before speaking or gets a better edit. It was a good start but I want more of the people and less of the faux blood and thunder.

See you next week.

19 comments:

  1. I question calling the Great Gazoo Fred Flintstone's nemesis. He mostly gave Fred good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the same wide-eyed naivety as Dorothy arriving in Oz? I would say it was more the same wide-eyed naivety as Vito Corleone arriving in New York. But I may just be thinking of James...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dramatically speaking, I think Fred's nemesis is either Wilma or Fred himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan, I never loved a man the way that I love you (credit to Aretha Franklin). Partly because you say the nicest things about me, so what's not to love? And of course because you're a brilliant writer and intellect, as well as an overall sweetie (when you’re not launching scathing, rapier-sharp attacks).
    Just a clarification - I was the first woman in Cape Town, but not quite the first PERSON in SA. Definitely the first WOMAN in SA, though.
    We had to giggle about your comments about the notorious HAT. Being a born and bred African, I can understand and truly sympathize when other people aspire to this status as well, and will go to great lengths to give that appearance ... but at the expense of adopting false personas and silly hats, is it really worth it? We think perhaps it’s just a little bit sad ... Fortunately, as you say, it’s Television Without Viewers ... which also makes me feel better about my giant pre-diet-forever-immortalized-on-TV-that-no-one-watches-ass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Joe, I'm proud to call you a friend, as you well know.

    As for the hat, I do feel some guilt about the mockery. As I may have mentioned to you, I went through my own African phase in high school. I did this at least partially because I felt like my father had lost his roots. (And, oh yeah, for those reading who don't know, my old man is a black dude) I wore outfits not dissimilar to those Faust wears in the show.

    I stopped for a few reasons. One of them is that I am a white guy, and I didn't want a)to be mocked or b)to be perceived AS mocking. The other is that, at this point, and of course Dad had this figured out, I had no connection to Africa. Nor did he.

    For me to dress that way is as silly as it is for Fellas here to dress in kilts. It's acceptable, but a little goofy.

    I don't know if that makes sense. I'm also aware that the idea of taking on African culture and Islamic traditions is a reaction of re-defining that some feel to be a healing thing against slavery. I hate like hell to dismiss it. I do. Especially because, as I say, I do respect the man, and I respect most anybody who will stare at the things that make hima gry with dignity and defiance.
    But it does seem sort of sad and a little funny, and it annoys me. It does. So I mock it. But I don't feel good about it either.
    And dear heart, your ass pales before the ghastliness of me. Wow. I almost can't bear to watch for I know I'll see myself again, and I don't know if I can take it.
    If anything, I've gotten fatter still!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan, Ryan, Ryan, Ryan, Ryan, Ryan, etc., etc....

    What happened to your sense of humour? Did it get flushed down the toilet, along with the rest of your bile? 'Cos I know you've got one. Anyone who rooms with Gayleen has to have one.

    Re: the "pitch". Didn't it occur to you that I was taking the piss? I can't stand the Hollywood style of pitching an idea using other, supposedly popular films/books as a means of convincing some idiot in a suit that your book/script will encounter similar success.

    Could you get more disparate or ridiculous bedfellows as Saw and Steel Fucking Magnolias? I HATE Steel Fucking Magnolias! I would rather vote Tory than write anything that bore even a passing resemblance to that steaming pile of excrement.

    That was the whole point, you see, to choose such ridiculous comparisons to show up the whole process - I know the super-slick editing meant that my knowing snigger was lost, but you were there, dear boy, in the store, to witness it at first hand and you didn't spot it? The fact that I won the challenge made it all the more delicious!

    Seriously, you're gonna have to do better than this, mate, otherwise I am gonna have to kick your arse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. James, were you planning to kick his arse... or to slap his arse and call it genius? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. James, Jamie, Hamish, Jackie, Jaime, Juan, ad nauseum...

    My sense of humour is intact, as is my bile duct. Don't worry. Both of those things I seem to have in endless quantities.

    In re: the challenge: I half suspected you had contempt for the process, and I am fine with that. I think a close reading of my recap will indicate that I don't blame you for your approach. Truth be told, it would have been my approach as well.

    What you don't seem to understand is that Faust's hat was very stupid.

    Also, I don't think you can fully grasp how much I hated the challenges. As I said in the recap, why is interesting such a hard sell. I think you can safely assume that people watching book television are interested in writing.

    Here we have a great cast of people, diverse talents, each bringing something unique to the table. We could have had more time focusing on the novels themselves. I wanted to see more of the process.

    As you say, I was there, and I know for a fact that they never asked you the right questions. The time devoted to these asinine challenges could have been spent finding out what all of your books were about. It's a whole show about people writing books, and we don't really learn ANYTHING about the stories.

    When you're doing the three day you develop a hugely intense relationship with the work, and they should have had you talking about that more. Instead of them constantly asking how you were feeling, wouldn't it have been nice to be asked who your favourite character was in your book, and why?

    Wouldn't it have been interesting to see why it was going well when it was, and what was afflicting you when it wasn't?

    Sure it would have.

    But no, instead they went for the least creative possible cop out with the challenges. And I'm not saying nothing good came of them, but I would have rather seen more of the relationships you had with your work, and with each other than watching you caper for peanuts like a group of twelve circus bears.

    Surely, you're not chastising me for thinking you all deserved better? Especially not at this late late late date of airing?

    Did you not want more screen time? I think I know you better than that, dog-killer.

    And brother, anytime you want to kick my ass, that will be fine. It would mean I got to see you again, and I'd like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That has become my new all-occasions threat, by the way. I WILL SLAP YOUR ASS AND CALL IT GENIUS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And it will be. Oh, yes.

    And you know what? The challenges weren't that bad. Some were a lot of fun, especially the readings. Yes, some were a major pain in the slapped ass when you were right in the middle of a great bit and the creative juices were flowing, but it was TV, not radio.

    And you're right, it would have been nice to just talk about the characters or the plot sometimes, but we had ample opportunity to do that if we wanted to, in the confessional. We were just too busy to do it.

    Just the fact that they made a TV show about people writing a book in three days should be applauded. It would never get made south of the border, that's for sure. Unless the women all wore Lycra and the guys were all built like Arnie. So only Gordon and Jennifer would have made the cut.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, we agree on that. It was a laudable thing to make the show, and on the whole, I like it. I'm just being a snarky prick because it amuses me and because it could have been better. And because you all deserved better than for it to be left on the shelf for two years and finally aired with next to no fanfare.

    And I agree also, SOME of the challenges were okay. They may have also acted like small vacations for you. I just wish they had been done differently.

    None of you can be blamed for not discussing your books without prodding. As you say, you were busy. I am amazed you were all able to keep up basic hygiene and good humour. Mostly.

    Mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. James, I love you. Don't let the man get you down. (and by the man, I mean the recapper.)

    Joe, I also love you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's true. She went over all gooey-eyed at your devilish good looks and accent.

    Of course, she goes over all gooey-eyed for the vampire in Twilight, too.

    So...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I should, at this point, throw a bit of love Marty's way and repeat what an unnamed, but very good-looking, person said to me about the show:

    "Did you really get to sleep in a room with Marty Chan? I have a crush on him."

    ReplyDelete
  15. You guys know both of these fellows are totally married, right?

    Okay. So who's up for some Marty/James fics?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a terrible human being.

    And yes, my anonymous friend was quite... well, crushed... to hear that Marty was happily married.

    As is James.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh sure. I get one (1) comment on this blog from someone not directly involved with the show, and it's a mash note from a femal fan for that toffee nosed barely legal alien.

    I suggest hot, erotic fan fiction be written about him and a writer of children's fiction, and I'M the monster.

    Great.

    ReplyDelete